This Statement of Rights and Responsibilities (hereinafter “Statement”) governs the relationship Baraza Ijtihad (hereinafter “Baraza”) with users and others who interact with Baraza. By using or accessing Baraza, you agree to all the terms and conditions this Statement and all rights and obligations that it entails.
Publishing Your Work on Baraza
You maintain all intellectual property rights over the text and multimedia content and information you submit to Baraza. In addition, you remain fully responsible for any damages or claims raised or incurred by third parties in relation to anything you post on Baraza including but not limited to any claims related to plagiarism, offensive content, breach of intellectual property, false or misleading statements and false publicity. By submitting your work to Baraza, you irrevocably undertake to defend, keep unharmed and indemnify Baraza for any such claims or demands relating in any way to content that you posted or attributed to you.
You specifically give Baraza the following permission:
- you grant us a non-exclusive, royalty-free, worldwide license to display any IP content that you post on or in connection with Baraza (IP License).
- When you use an application, your content and information is shared with the application. We require applications to respect your privacy, and your agreement with that application will control how the application can use, store, and transfer that content and information.
- When you publish content or information it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off Baraza, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you.
We do our best to keep Baraza safe, but we cannot guarantee it. We need your help to do that, which includes the following commitments:
- You will not submit or post unauthorized commercial content (such as spam)
- You will not collect users' content or information, or otherwise access Baraza, using automated means (such as harvesting bots, robots, spiders, or scrapers) without our permission.
- You will not engage in unlawful multi-level marketing, such as a pyramid scheme, on Baraza.
- You will not upload viruses or other malicious code.
- You will not solicit login information or access an account belonging to someone else.
- You will not bully, intimidate, or harass any user.
- You will not post content that: is hateful, threatening, or pornographic; incites violence; or contains nudity or graphic or gratuitous violence.
- You will not publicize or offer any contest, giveaway, or sweepstakes (“promotion”) on Baraza.
- You will not use Baraza to do anything unlawful, misleading, malicious, or discriminatory.
- You will not do anything that could disable, overburden, or impair the proper working of Baraza, such as a denial of service attack.
- You will not facilitate or encourage any violations of this Statement.
Registration and Account Security
Baraza users provide their real names and information, and we need your help to keep it that way. Here are some commitments you make to us relating to registering and maintaining the security of your account:
- You will not provide any false personal information on Baraza, or create an account for anyone other than yourself without permission.
- You will not create more than one account.
- You will keep your contact information accurate and up-to-date.
- You will not share your password, (or in the case of developers, your secret key), let anyone else access your account, or do anything else that might jeopardize the security of your account.
- You will not transfer your account (including any page or application you administer) to anyone without first getting our written permission.
- If you select a username for your account we reserve the right to remove or reclaim it if we believe appropriate (such as when a trademark owner complains about a username that does not closely relate to a user's actual name).
Protecting Other People's Rights
We respect other people's rights, and expect you to do the same.
- You will not post content or take any action on Baraza that infringes or violates someone else's rights or otherwise violates the law.
- We can remove any content or information you post on Baraza if we believe that it violates this Statement.
- You will not use our copyrights or trademarks (including Baraza Ijtihad, Baraza, Baraza Online and BI Logo, BI, Five Questions, ), or any confusingly similar marks, without our written permission.
- You will not post anyone's identification documents or sensitive financial information on Baraza.
Special Provisions Applicable to Share Links
If you include our Share Link button on your website, the following additional terms apply to you:
- We give you permission to use Baraza’s Share Link buttons so that users can post links or content from our website to Social Media websites.
- You will not share any content that contain content that would violate this policies on the platforms to which you are posting.
About Advertisements and Other Commercial Content Served by Baraza
Our goal is to deliver ads that are not only valuable to advertisers, but also valuable to you. In order to do that, you agree to the following:
- We do not give your content or information to advertisers without your consent.
- You understand that we may not always identify paid services and communications as such.
Special Provisions Applicable to Advertisers
You can target your specific audience by buying ads on Baraza. The following additional terms apply to you if you place a request to buy an ad on Baraza (“Order”):
- When you place an Order, you will tell us the type of advertising you want to buy, the amount you want to spend, and your bid. If we accept your Order, we will deliver your ads as inventory becomes available. When serving your ad, we do our best to deliver the ads to the audience you specify, although we cannot guarantee in every instance that your ad will reach its intended target.
- In instances where we believe doing so will enhance the effectiveness of your advertising campaign, we may broaden the targeting criteria you specify.
- We will determine the size, placement, and positioning of your ads.
- We do not guarantee the activity that your ads will receive, such as the number of clicks you will get.
- We cannot control how people interact with your ads, and are not responsible for click fraud or other improper actions that affect the cost of running ads.
- Our license to run your ad will end when we have completed your Order. You understand, however, that if users have interacted with your ad, your ad may remain until the users delete it.
- We can use your ads and related content and information for marketing or promotional purposes.
- You will not issue any press release or make public statements about your relationship with Baraza without written permission.
- We may reject or remove any ad for any reason.
- If you are placing ads on someone else's behalf, we need to make sure you have permission to place those ads, including the following:
- You warrant that you have the legal authority to bind the advertiser to this Statement.
- You agree that if the advertiser you represent violates this Statement, we may hold you responsible for that violation.
- We can change this Statement if we provide you notice (on the About us page) and an opportunity to comment. To get notice of any future changes to this Statement, visit our our website.
- We can make changes for legal or administrative reasons, or to correct an inaccurate statement, upon notice without opportunity to comment.
- If you violate the letter or spirit of this Statement, or otherwise create risk or possible legal exposure for us, we will remove your profile and all related content and submitted content. We will notify you by email or at the next time you attempt to access your account. Profiles cannot be delete without written appeal. If the appeal is granted, submitted content will remain on the site attached to your name and basic information. If you wish for content to be removed from the website you must petition Baraza in all such cases.
- You will resolve any claim, cause of action or dispute (claim) you have with us arising out of or relating to this Statement or Baraza exclusively in a state or federal court located in the New York County (Manhattan). The laws of the State of New York will govern this Statement, as well as any claim that might arise between you and us, without regard to conflict of law provisions. You agree to submit to the personal jurisdiction of the courts located in New York County, New York for the purpose of litigating all such claims.
- If anyone brings a claim against us related to your actions, content or information on Baraza, you will indemnify and hold us harmless from and against all damages, losses, and expenses of any kind (including reasonable legal fees and costs) related to such claim.
- WE TRY TO KEEP BARAZA UP AND RUNNING, BUG-FREE, AND SAFE, BUT YOU USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. WE ARE PROVIDING BARAZA AS IS WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. WE DO NOT GUARANTEE THAT BARAZA WILL BE SAFE OR SECURE. BARAZA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS, CONTENT, INFORMATION, OR DATA OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE US, OUR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES. IF YOU ARE A CALIFORNIA RESIDENT, YOU WAIVE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE §1542, WHICH SAYS: A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR. WE WILL NOT BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THIS STATEMENT OR BARAZA, EVEN IF WE HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. OUR AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING OUT OF THIS STATEMENT OR BARAZA WILL NOT EXCEED THE GREATER OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100) OR THE AMOUNT YOU HAVE PAID US IN THE PAST TWELVE MONTHS. APPLICABLE LAW MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY OR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN SUCH CASES, ABRAZA'S LIABILITY WILL BE LIMITED TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW.
Special Provisions Applicable to Users Outside the United States
We strive to create a global community with consistent standards for everyone, but we also strive to respect local laws. The following provisions apply to users outside the United States:
- You consent to having your personal data transferred to and processed in the United States.
- If you are located in a country embargoed by the United States, or are on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals you will not engage in commercial activities on Facebook (such as advertising or payments) or operate a Platform application or website.
- By Baraza we mean Baraza Ijtihad and the features and services we make available, including through (a) our Baraza Ijtihad website at www.barazaonline.org and any other Baraza branded or co-branded websites (including sub-domains, international versions, widgets, and mobile versions); (b) our Platform; (c) social plugins (d) other media, software (such as a toolbar), devices, or networks now existing or later developed.
- By Platform we mean a set of APIs and services that enable others, including application developers and website operators, to retrieve data from Facebook or provide data to us.
- By information we mean facts and other information about you, including actions you take.
- By content we mean anything you post or submit on Baraza that would not be included in the definition of information.
- By data we mean content and information that third parties can retrieve from Baraza or provide to Baraza through Platform.
- By post we mean post on Baraza or otherwise make available to us (such as by using an application).
- By use we mean use, submit, copy, publicly perform or display, distribute, modify, translate, and create derivative works of.
- By active registered user we mean a user who has logged into Facebook at least once in the previous 30 days.
- By application we mean any application or website that uses or accesses Platform, as well as anything else that receives or has received data from us. If you no longer access Platform but have not deleted all data from us, the term application will apply until you delete the data.
- This Statement is an agreement between you and Baraza. References to “us,” “we,” and “our” means Baraza.
- This Statement makes up the entire agreement between the parties regarding Baraza, and supersedes any prior agreements.
- If any portion of this Statement is found to be unenforceable, the remaining portion will remain in full force and effect.
- If we fail to enforce any of this Statement, it will not be considered a waiver.
- Any amendment to or waiver of this Statement must be made in writing and signed by us.
- You will not transfer any of your rights or obligations under this Statement to anyone else without our consent.
- All of our rights and obligations under this Statement are freely assignable by us in connection with a merger, acquisition, or sale of assets, or by operation of law or otherwise.
- Nothing in this Statement shall prevent us from complying with the law.
- This Statement does not confer any third party beneficiary rights.
- You will comply with all applicable laws when using or accessing Baraza.
What information do we collect?
When registering on our site, as appropriate, you may be asked to enter your: name, e-mail address or University affiliation. You may, however, visit our site anonymously.
We collect information from you when you register on our site or when you submit content. Not all fields are mandatory. You are responsible for any information you choose to submit beyond the required fields.
What do we use your information for?
Any of the information we collect from you may be used in one of the following ways:
- To personalize your experience (your information helps us to better respond to your individual needs)
- To improve our website(we continually strive to improve our website offerings based on the information and feedback we receive from you)
- Your information, whether public or private, will not be sold, exchanged, transferred, or given to any other company for any reason whatsoever, without your consent, other than for the express purpose of delivering the purchased product or service requested.
- To administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature
- To send periodic emails
- The email address you provide through submissions or on your profile may be used to send you information and updates pertaining to your submission or profile, in addition to receiving occasional updates and event information.
- Note: If at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email.
Yes (Cookies are small files that a site or its service provider transfers to your computers hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the sites or service providers systems to recognize your browser and capture and remember certain information
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information. This does not include trusted third parties who assist us in operating our website, conducting our business, or servicing you, so long as those parties agree to keep this information confidential. We may also release your information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, enforce our site policies, or protect ours or others rights, property, or safety. However, non-personally identifiable visitor information may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses.
Third party links
Occasionally, at our discretion, we may include or offer third party products or services on our website. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
This policy was last modified on February 26, 2012